Founded in 1857 by the Rev. T.R. White, the school was opened as a private boarding school, known as Finchley Hall School. It catered for an intake of 3! Within 3 years the building had to be extended as the number of boarders had risen to 150.
An impressive new building was erected in 1860. For over 100 years CCF stood prominently in its second site in Hendon Lane, its green topped tower visible for miles around. It soon became one of the largest and most famous boarding schools in the environs of London.
In 1991, shortly after turning comprehensive the school moved to its current and third site, just over a mile away, on East End Road.
The school has excellent accommodation including a Sixth Form Suite, several Computer Rooms, a Library/Resource Centre staffed by its own Librarian, a Drama Studio, Sports Hall, Gymnasium, Fitness Room and an Animal House and Aviary within a defined Environmental Area.
The text below has been taken from The British History Website:
In 1857 the Revd. Thomas Reader White, Rector of Finchley, converted the Queen’s Head Tavern, near St. Mary’s church, into a school, opened as Finchley Hall School with three boys.
By 1860 there were 150, all boarders, and a new building was erected opposite on the east side of Hendon Lane. After the first year or two White did little teaching, but appointed himself ‘Warden’.
The first headmaster, the Revd. T. C. Whitehead (1866-73), believed in military discipline and constant supervision; the boys were known by numbers, were marched to and from meals with their band, and slept as many as 60 to a dormitory.
The Revd. R. W. Gallop succeeded Whitehead as ‘Headmaster and Chaplain’ and became proprietor on the death of White in 1877.
In 1895, when numbers were down to 65, mostly day boys, the school was bought by the father of the new headmaster, J. T. Phillipson, who aroused much opposition by changing from rugby to association football; one result was that the school had two independent Old Boy associations for half a century.
By 1902 numbers had decreased to 50, but Phillipson nevertheless managed to get the school taken over by the Middlesex County Council on his own terms, with himself as headmaster, his existing staff, and Church of England services in the chapel. Numbers rose and by 1914 there were almost 250 boys.
In 1927 there were 380 on the roll, new buildings were erected, and the chapel was demolished. Under the new headmaster, H. B. Pegrum, who succeeded Phillipson in 1929, the school continued to flourish, and by 1944 the number of boys exceeded 500.
By January 1965 there were 582 pupils on the roll.
From: ‘Schools: Christ’s College, Finchley’, A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 1: Physique, Archaeology, Domesday, Ecclesiastical Organization, The Jews, Religious Houses, Education of Working Classes to 1870, Private Education from Sixteenth Century (1969), pp. 290. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22127.
Date accessed: 30 June 2008.